On Monday 8th June 2020, the prosecution team in the ongoing treason trial between the state and Rtd. Major Alfred Palo Conteh, – 1st accused, Rtd. Colonel Saa Anthony Sinnah – 2nd accused and George Hughes – 3rd accused have closed their case.
In all, the prosecution team presented seventeen (17) prosecution witnesses, whilst three of them were only presented to the court without testifying.
Prosecution Lawyer, Adrian Fisher told the court that they decided not to let the three witnesses testify because whatever they will say have been said by other witnesses who had already testified in court.
After the prosecution closed their case, Defence lawyer Joseph Kamara informed the court that the defence will be presenting a no case submission, but requested that the court grant the defence more time to do so. He suggested that the prosecution is served the written no case submission on Friday and the defence make their oral no case presentation the following Monday.
Attorney General, Priscila Schwartz objected to the date proposing that the no case submission be served on Thursday, but Lawyer Kamara replied that the defence would not be able to present their no case submission to the prosecution because they also want to prepare for the opening of their case, should the judge rule against their no case submission.
Presiding Judge, Justice Momo-Jah Steven ordered that the prosecution be served on Friday and the defence make their no case submission on Monday.
Meanwhile, lawyer Amadu Koroma, Lawyer representing the third accused, George Hughes informed the court that the third accused has closed their case and will rely on the statements made in court and evidence tendered in court on the matter.
Matter has been adjourned to Monday 15th June 2020 for next hearing.