Friday, April 4, 2025
- Advertisement -spot_img

Prosecutor alleges Palo wanted to revenge for the overthrow of his uncle Pres. Momoh

Must Read

On Tuesday 23 June 2020, Rtd. Major Alfred Palo Conteh, first accused in the ongoing treason trial told the court that he did not take a pistol to state house as a way of revenge for the overthrow of his uncle, former President Joseph Saidu Momoh.

While being cross examined by Lawyer Adrian Fisher, Palo said he read about the overthrow of his Uncle while he was in England on study leave in which he named SAJ Musa, Captain V M Strasser, and the current President who was then Lieutenant Julius Maada Bio as the people that overthrew his uncle.

Palo said he joined the military in 1976 and he was retired after his uncle was overthrown in 1992 and even though he was not happy for the early retirement but he owes no grudge against the people that overthrew his uncle nor the ones that sent him to early retirement- “I am a fervent Christian, I forgive.”

He said the statement he made during the first meeting with President Bio at State House in which he said if it wasn’t for COVID 19 he would not have been in the same room with the President was based on the fact that they are two opponents when it comes to politics.

Even though he told the court that after the 2018 elections he has not been attacked, Palo said he decided to take his weapon to State House for his personal safety, which according to him driving from Wilberforce to State House anything could have happened.

“I did not feel insecure at State House but moving from my resident to State House anything could have happened,” he maintained.

Palo told the court that the Gluck 17 pistol was brought into the country by his friend in a shipment but the statement he made to the police earlier that was tendered in court states that the weapon was given to him by his nephew.

He later corrected himself after objections and counter objections by the defense and the prosecution stating that the statement that was made at the police was a mistake, and that he did not realize that he had mixed up the dates for the Gluck 17 and 21, “but the Gluck 17 was brought in by his friend and the Gluck 21 by his nephew.”

Meanwhile, Presiding Judge, Justice Momo- Jah Steven has informed the prosecution and the defense that there would be a locus visit to state house on Wednesday that would constitute three lawyers from the defense, three lawyers from the prosecution, the judge, the registrar and the 12 jurors.

He said the registrar would record what happens at the scene and testify same in court on Friday.

Lead Counsel of the first accused, Lawyer Abdulai O. Conteh objected to the judge’s proclamation stating that it is of no use for them to visit State House at this time, because the prosecution and the defense have closed their cases but later conceded and told the court that the first accused has instructed him to accept that they should go for the visit.

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest News

Kamara vs. Sesay: Battle for SLAJ Leadership Begins

High-stakes contest for the presidency of the Sierra Leone Association of Journalists (SLAJ) has officially commenced, as two seasoned...

More Articles Like This